Letters of rec
Letters of Recommendation for Undergraduates
In some cases, students may wish to ask me for a letter of recommendation. If you do please see the below guidelines:
• In general, I will only write academic letters of recommendation for students who receive an A- or better in one of my classes.
o If you received a grade lower than an A-, I suggest that you get a recommendation from an instructor in whose class you received a higher grade unless I make special mention to you that I am available to write a letter for you.
• In requesting the letter or discussing what you are applying for, there is no need for us to meet in person. Email is fine.
• For any letter of recommendation request, please contact me a minimum of 3 weeks prior to the due date.
• Some law school applications ask you to get a more "personal" reference that is different from the standard letter of recommendation. I recommend that you not ask me for this additional personal reference (which asks me questions about things like your "integrity"). In most cases, I do not have enough information about you to provide the information requested in this more personal reference.
- For online letters of recommendation (e.g., for the UCDC internship program), please see the below contact information for me and do not worry about sending me the below materials.
• However, for those requesting hard copy letters (e.g., for law school admissions): Once I have agreed to write a letter for you, please send all materials to the following address (unless I have provided a different address to you):
Professor Ethan Scheiner
Department of Political Science
University of California at Davis
One Shields Avenue
Davis CA, 95616
Here is additional contact information:
Phone: (530) 207-3205
Email Address: firstname.lastname@example.org.
• Please send me the following:
o Your statement of purpose or other letter you are submitting with your application
o Your resume and transcript
o A self-addressed/stamped envelope for every letter that you want me to send
• Be sure to waive your right to see the letter. I will not submit letters unless you do so.
• Please fill out all information for me on whatever forms I need to complete, so that all I need to do is sign and date the form and submit the actual letter.
o My title is: Professor, Department of Political Science, UC Davis
o And my additional contact information is above.
• Please get me all materials no less than 2 weeks before I need to mail in the letter.
• Unless you have heard from me that the letter is submitted, 3 days before the letter needs to be submitted please send me a reminder email to submit the letter.
• These letters are confidential, so I will not give a copy for your records.