The admission application (required) and fellowship application (encouraged, but not required) must be completed through the online application system. The admission application and fellowship application, along with instructions, are available through the Office of Graduate Studies website beginning in early September. Applications are accepted for fall quarter only.
For full consideration and review your application must be completed by December 15, and any transcripts must be postmarked by December 15.
Applicants who are not already law students must also apply directly to the UC Davis School of Law for the combined M.A./J.D. program. Separate applications must be submitted to each department because the evaluation and decision processes are performed independently. If admitted to both programs, the applicant must enroll at the School of Law for the first year.
- initial application (online)
- application fee, paid by credit card or e-check — The fee must be paid before the application will be considered as complete, and the fee must be paid for each application submitted. Consult the Graduate Studies website for fee information.
- three "Letters of Recommendation" — Your letter writers must upload their statements through the online application system; no paper letters will be accepted. Your recommenders will receive instructions for submitting their recommendations online.
- GRE (Graduate Record Examination) scores — These scores must be current (taken within the past five years) and should be sent electronically directly from ETS to UC Davis. The ETS code for UC Davis is 4834, and the code for Political Science is 1902.
- TOEFL (Test of English as a Foreign Language) or IELTS (International English Language Testing System) scores — if you have not studied at an institution and received a degree where the language of instruction is English. These scores must be current (taken with the past two years). TOEFL should be sent electronically directly from ETS to UC Davis. IELTS scores should be mailed directly to UC Davis from IELTS.
- writing sample — must be submitted electronically as part of the online application.
- transcripts — All applicants must upload PDF versions of their transcripts or academic records directly to our system. Paper transcripts are not acceptable. Consult the Graduate Studies website for instructions about uploading transcripts.